Saturday, February 11, 2012

Esme update (Camponotus Consobrinus queen)

Some photos of Esme the Australian Banded Sugar Ant (Camponotus Consobrinus) and her 7 larvae (I'm sure she ate some of her eggs initially, there used to be a lot more). They are quite different sizes and seem to have slowed down in growth in the last week or so. We have had some unseasonably cool weather here in Canberra, so perhaps that's it? I have been feeding her a honey water drop about once a week.

2/2/2012

7/2/2012

7/2/2012

Today 11/2/2012



2 comments:

  1. Hi there would you have any advice for me, I believe I've just captured a Camponotus consobrinus Queen after she's flown into my face and scared the crap out of me this evening and I have always wanted a chance to raise my own ant farm, it'll be my first attempt but I didn't want the opportunity to slip by.

    I see you have yours in a small container is that the most practical way to keep her to start considering her size, I've only ever watched videos and seen people caring for starting queen's in test tubes with cotton plugging the ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind I've just gone back inside and been informed my housemate has thrown it outside thinking it was a cockroach after getting in from work.

      Delete